Salerno is a fascinating synthesis of what the Mediterranean can offer to those who want to know more closely. The city has almost 140,000 inhabitants and covers an area of 5975.32 hectares. Salerno always offers more as a welcoming community for tourists and visitors from around the world. In recent years the town council has given impetus to urban renewal and recovery of socio-economic features of the area: the ancient monuments and churches have been restored; opening new parks and gardens in city districts; streets and squares have been carefully decorated and illuminated artistically; several spaces retrieved for artistic, cultural and recreational activities; also the sports facilities are enhanced with the construction of new facilities. Countless projects were implemented to improve the livability of neighborhoods and, more generally, to raise the level of quality of life of citizens. In the historic center of Salerno you can see on one hand the traces of the ancient city's history, and on the other hand the fervor of artisan shops and artistic, cultural and musical locals visited by thousands of people. The restoration of ancient heart of the city has aimed to rediscover the treasures of art and culture of a great land. Today, through the alleys and squares, churches and palaces, you can read the past of Salerno, sense an image of the events that have taken place during the time, the witness of the splendor of economic prosperity, social and cultural of past centuries.
The famous lights of Artist or illuminations of Salerno are a cultural mold event that takes place for many years during the winter (pre-Christmas) roughly the first week of November until the end of January. The first editions of the event were realized in Turin and after some time also the town of Salerno decided to use the same format for the Christmas holidays. Annually from November to January the salernitane nights are illuminated by giant lights, real bright works of art by famous artists of the light. Judged by many like some masterpieces, installed in the most picturesque and fascinating corners of the city of Salerno. The first manifestation “LUCI D’ARTISTA” - Lighting of Salerno in the year 2006/2007, and to be precise the day Thursday, November 30, the then Mayor of Salerno Vincenzo De Luca inaugurated the artistic illumination prepared by the City of Salerno for the holiday season and year-end and various arrangements that were in that edition the snowball, the Planetarium and the luminous Palm. Since the 2009/2010 “LUCI D’ARTISTA” of Salerno instead is twinned with the “LUCI D’ARTISTA” in Turin. And in fact, there were exchanges of light installations between the two cities: the exhibits in Salerno who received majority approval from the public not only Italian, but also European (many in fact are the tourists coming from Europe arrived in the city to watch the show) were also adopted by the city of Turin. The same has happened to the Turin works, with the difference that in 2009 the city of Salerno has entered inside the Turin installations, other works specially commissioned. The fabulous nights are illuminated of Salerno are enriched with many cultural event, musical events, dance, theater, performances that complete the program of Christmas events, making the city even more beautiful for citizens and welcoming for visitors and they represent a good opportunity to discover the monumental and artistic beauty of the city, the pleasure of shopping, the crafts and local food and quality in an atmosphere of joyful serenity.
The parish of Saints Matthew and Gregory the Great is a institution Ecclesiastical recognized by Decree of the Ministry Interior on 22.7.1989, published in the Supplement the extraordinary Official Gazette n ° 16 of 14/10/1989. The double title of the parish dates back to April 27, 1857, when the archbishop Marino Paglia, with the bull “Laudatissima et vetusta ecclesia”, he moved from the parish church of St. Gregory the Great, on street of the Mercanti, to the Cathedral and on 12 May he appointed the first parish priest, d. Modestino Carbone. The January 12, 1860 the church of St. Gregory is declared branch of the Cathedral but the pastor is in fact in the former headquarters until July 12 1939. On June 12, 1880 the Archbishop Valerio Laspro asks the Sacred Congregation of the Council for authorization to remove the branch. January 17, 1888, the parish priest is numbered with the honorary canons of the Metropolitan Chapter. From July 12, 1939 the parish, effectively and definitively, is moved to the cathedral and the ancient church of St. Gregory the Great becomes, then, the seat of the School of Medicine Museum.
Villa Comulale-public garden- was designed in 1874. It is located in front of the Theater Verdi and has a lush garden botanist with many rare plants of the Mediterranean area; in specifically, they are the papyrus and banana trees that grow wild thanks to the mild weather. This garden-park currently has several statues, including Carlo Pisacane in marble, and that of Giovanni Nicotera in bronze. The latter, because of its material, was removed during World War II to make bullets: the current statue is a copy of the1950s. It made using the same original matrix. The park also it features a little lake.
The castle stands on top of Mount Bonadies dominating from the city of Salerno. Although monetary recoveries attest to the attendance of the hill already in the III-II century. BC, the first construction dates back to the sixth century. A.D., in During the Greek-gothic war, when by General greek Narsete it was built a castle. The tower was built on five or six levels, which act Control of the harbor below and the paths that they would It could easily lead to Nuceria Alfaterna, vital node for the economy of the Vesuvian plain. In the eighth century Arechi II made the castle the northern vertex of a defensive system triangular, whose walls came down along the slopes of the hill Bonadies encircling the entire ancient Salerno to the sea: the circuit wall was reinforced by the Lombard prince, whose intervention on the castle was virtually non-existent. The position on Mount Bonadies offered good defensive ability; the castle and the walls made Salerno "by nature and art impregnable, not a fortress being in Italy equipped with it; the castle, in fact, never capitulated and during the siege of Robert Guiscard, in 1077, the occupants bargained the surrender by starvation. The Normans did not bring changes to the castel, but they built an expansion to the south of the castel. the tower called "La Bastille" was built by the normans : its construction responds the need to control the movements not directly visible from the castle. Some changes were made by Angioini, who added bodies factory and tanks. With the Aragonese castle reached its maximum development. They came built large buildings visible today in east so-called Piazza d'Armi. Spaces on the right input belong to the modern age by which time the castle had lost its defensive function and was used by Sanseverino principles of Salerno feudal lords, as a residence temporary. Between 1547 and 1564 an English traveler Thomas Hoby, was welcomed by the principles who stayed there in the summer. In the description of his coming from Cava, Hoby climbed along the rocks to reach the castel, because there was not the way that today unites Vietri with Salerno. After a long period of abandoned following the Unification of Italy, the last owners Castle, the Counts Forty Lords of Fossalopara, 19 December 1960 sold the castle to the Province of Salerno that It began the restoration work. On 1 March 1992 the Post Office Italian have dedicated a stamp .
The tower (or strong) Carnal was built around 1569 entrepreneur Andrea Di Gaeta and originally It stood on the beach. It is located a few hundred meters from the mouth of the river Irno and is related as a defensive system with "Coastal Towers" of Angellara, Torrione and Vietri . The Carnal structure is square with battlements and It presents, at the top, a small tower for housing soldiers. It belonged to the type of towers called torre cavallarie , from which horsemen went to warn people in case of attack from the sea. The name derives from a battle between Lombards and Saracens took place in the year 872 around promontory (formerly linked to the hill called "Mazzo della Signora ") on which stands the strong and which ended in a massacre the latter: "a carnal (charnel house)" in fact. The building is also called "La polveriera", since the nineteenth century was used by the bourbon from a military ammunition depot. La Carnale was the scene of fierce defense of Salerno from the so-called "Masaniello Salernitano", Hippolytus of Pastina, rebelled against the abuses of the Spaniards in the seventeenth century: Ippolito chose to displace the "People's control" of his revolt in ancient The Carnal in 1647 for almost a year. After, the strong in 1764 picked up the dead due to the terrible famine of that year. The fort-La Carnale- then became an armed Bourbon fortress in 1828, and was used as an observatory of military maneuvers Francis I. After the unification of Italy and until 1924 was used as a Unit ammunition depot. In World War II it was reinforced with "bunker" and suffered much damage during the landing in Salerno September 1943.
The Minerva Garden is located in the heart of the historical center of Salerno, in an area called the Middle Ages "Plaium montis", halfway of an ideal way that runs along the axis of the vegetable gardens that rise up , around the creek Fusandola, to the Castello di Arechi. The "greenhouse" was the property of Silvatico family since the twelfth century, as evidenced by a parchment preserved in the archive of the Abbey of Cava de 'Tirreni. Later, in the first two decades of the 1300s, the teacher Matthew Silvatico instituted a simple’s Garden, forerunner of all future botanical gardens in Europe. From the work of Silvatico, entitled Opus pandectarum medicinae, we obtain the first description of the Garden: "... and I have a taro, a Salerno, in my garden, in a conspicuous source. " In this space of extraordinary cultural value, the Garden of Minerva, they were cultivated some of the plants from which were obtained the active ingredients used for the therapeutic aims. Matthew Silvatico also taught students of the Medical School name’s plants and their characteristics (Ostensio Simplicium). The medieval garden, in the course of a recent campaign of investigations archaeological, was found at about two meters below the current ground level. The property, then, in the middle of the seventeenth century, despite many failures, already showing the appearance that currently characterizes the place. The teacher Giovanni Capasso was the last owner that, thanks to the lawyer Gaetano Nunziante, he donated after World War II the entire property to such charitable institution. In November of 1991, in Salerno, during the works of the symposium, the project was presented for the construction a botanical garden dedicated to Silvatico and its Garden of the simple. This project was also funded and built in 2000 by 'Municipal Administration (current owner of the property) using the providences of the European program "Urban". Today The Minerva Garden is an interesting set component attributable to the XVII and the eighteenth century. The site also has a special microclimate, favored by the low incidence of the north wind and the favorable exposure, which, even today, allows the cultivation of demanding plant species in terms of moisture and heat.
The famous lights of Artist or illuminations of Salerno are a cultural mold event that takes place for many years during the winter (pre-Christmas) roughly the first week of November until the end of January.
The parish of Saints Matthew and Gregory the Great is a institution Ecclesiastical recognized by Decree of the Ministry Interior on 22.7.1989, published in the Supplement the extraordinary Official Gazette n ° 16 of 14/10/1989.
Villa Comunale-public garden- was designed in 1874. It is located in front of the Theater Verdi and has a lush garden botanist with many rare plants of the Mediterranean area; in specifically, they are the papyrus and banana trees that grow wild thanks to the mild weather.
The castle stands on top of Mount Bonadies dominating from the city of Salerno. Although monetary recoveries attest to the attendance of the hill already in the III-II century. BC, the first construction dates back to the sixth century. A.D., in During the Greek-gothic war, when by General greek Narsete it was built a castle.
The tower (or strong) Carnal was built around 1569 entrepreneur Andrea Di Gaeta and originally It stood on the beach.
The Minerva Garden is located in the heart of the historical center of Salerno, in an area called the Middle Ages "Plaium montis", halfway of an ideal way that runs along the axis of the vegetable gardens that rise up , around the creek Fusandola, to the Castello di Arechi. The "greenhouse" was the property of Silvatico family since the twelfth century, as evidenced by a parchment preserved in the archive of the Abbey of Cava de 'Tirreni.